Now that you’ve successfully set up your blog, (check out part 1 if you haven’t already here http://universewithinpages.com/2018/05/10/how-to-start-a-blog-part-1/) it’s time for design. The style and format of your blog is the first thing that people see when they click on it, making it one of the most important aspects of your blog. If your design isn’t very appealing, people may decide to immediately click out, without even seeing any of your content.
First of all, take a look at what you don’t want to do.
Now, I’m sure you can already think of many bad things about this blog, let’s go over it in a small list:
- There is too much clutter on this page. When you clutter up your blog, people will be overwhelmed and click off.
- The background is too distracting. There is too much going on in the background, and it may take away from your actual content. You should strive for a plain background, preferably without any design at all.
- There are too many graphics. Although pictures are important, you shouldn’t stuff your blog with them. Rather, you should achieve a good balance between empty space, text, and pictures.
- Don’t choose blinding, neon, or even random colors. Many people may find this distracting, annoying, or messy visually to look at. This can lead to them clicking off your site, which we obviously would not want.
I’m sure you can think of many more bad aspects of this, but let’s move on to a few things that you should do.
- Make sure your blog has a theme. This is really important so that your blog’s design stays consistent throughout
- Link or add your other social medias to your website. This way, people can easily find you on other sources, allowing all your medias to gain more publicity.
- You should try to develop some type of logo or something that when people see it, they can easily tell that it’s your brand. For example, we have written text that explicitly says our blog name, but you can also have some type of logo, as long as it’s unique and identifiable.
4. Make your tabs and main segments easy to see. Use larger text, bolding, and separation to your advantage. You want to make sure that people who visit your blog find the important sections, like menus, or even a search bar.
5. Keep a consistent font size, color, and style. This way, everything will be more consistent and neat.